Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Click here to visit the main website.
Please consider donating to help with the server renewal costs. See the forum thread here.
New to the server? Click here for the main website.

Map Reset Policy Discussion

edited August 2012 in Community Discussions
I'd like to come up with a more official policy on map resets. Here are some ideas I've thought about (in no particular order), please chime in with opinions and any suggestions of your own:

1. Stick with the current scheme: vote on a new map whenever a new major version of Minecraft comes out, only reset the map if the vote gets 50%+ of the votes. If the vote fails we wait until the next major version to re-vote.

2. Similar to current scheme, but re-vote at fixed intervals (i.e., every 2 or 3 months) instead of waiting for new Minecraft versions.

3. Hold a "sticky" ongoing vote (probably via an in-game plugin) where users register as a "yes" or "no" to a new map, and can change their mind whenever they want. As soon as the yes players outnumber the no players by some arbitrary ratio (i.e., 2 to 1) and holds steady for some arbitrary time frame (i.e. 1 month) we reset the map. The vote would probably be reset at fixed intervals (i.e., every 2 or 3 months) so that inactive players can't skew the numbers.

4. Don't vote, just reset the map at fixed intervals (i.e., every 6 months).

Comments

• I like option #3, been thinking about suggesting something like that myself. It would be like a live meter that shows how bored people are with the current map. The tricky bit will be choosing those arbitrary numbers.

And yes, in-game plugin would be best - experience has shown that many players don't really go to the forum that often or even if they do, notifications and polls just seem to go unnoticed.
  • i like numbers 2 and 3
  • i like 1 or 3
  • I like 3 as well.
  • Ok, how about this? We use 2, on a sticky plugin in number 3, but the vote also stands on updates.

4 is kind of stupid.
  • I think #3 is viable as long as we make the time to vote shorter. I know that if I want to reset the map, I don't want to have to wait 2 months before it happens. 2-3 weeks seems like a better time frame in my opinion.
  • I'll start researching options and try to implement something for #3 this weekend. Hopefully I'll have time!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
Drop image/file