Please consider donating to help with the server renewal costs. See the forum thread here
New to the server? Click here
for the main website.
Is it time to go full Vanilla?
As you know, Minecraft 1.8 has been released.
Around this time, we usually wait a few days for a modding API called Bukkit to release their latest build. This lets us have the map vote plugin, MCBans (to efficiently prevent griefers from joining our community), and CoreProtect (a plugin that allows us to do case-by-case backups without rolling back the entire map).
However, some of you may know that Bukkit has been closed down. Mojang assured us that it wasn't authorized and that Dinnerbone would personally see to Bukkit being updated for 1.8. However, this means that development will be behind schedule with the leadership changes involved. That, and it seems Bukkit will soon be discontinued. Mojang has hinted that it will release its own modding API, however, we don't know when this will be and if it may even come to be.
I personally think it's best we go full Vanilla. That is, to remove our mods and use an un-modded client. First, let's examine the benefits:
- No wait for latest updates.
- Minecraft may or may not perform somewhat better
- Possibility of cheaper hosting (however, this isn't a benefit to us necessarily)
- True vanilla experience
Honestly, the wait period is the biggest advantage in my opinion. However, it's not without problems that we use vanilla Minecraft:
- Grief can no longer be rolled back. Either players must manually fix their builds or if its severe enough, the entire map will be rolled back. Players may or may not lose progress depending on when the grief occurs.
- Voting plugin goes away.
- Possibly harder to check for potential griefers in the database. However, we're also whitelisted so it's not a huge problem.
The biggest drawback would be the inability to fix grief almost painlessly. This may or may not put more pressure on the administration.
So to summarize, would you rather quicker client updates or quick, painless grief fixing?
My vote would be to go vanilla. It will be truer to the vanilla experience in my opinion, a quality of Sitosis that I have come to love. How will you vote?