Thank you to all who helped to pay the server hosting bill!
New to the server? Click here for the main website.

Sitosis, future and donations

edited February 2015 in News and Announcements
It's that time of the year when we start talking about renewing the server lease again. Due to personal reasons, I haven't been active for months and don't have a good overview of how active the server is or what people think about Sitosis in general.

So, before we approach the subject of donations to keep our little corner of Minecraft running, I would like to get some feedback. Do you still play? If not, would you start again with a fresh map? Would you be interested in a modpack (e.g. FTB) instead of the vanilla experience? Would you care if Sitosis just closed? Would you be willing to help to offset the cost of the server lease?

Please voice your thoughts below.

Asum

Comments

• 1. Do you still play?
    I play every day. Every single day. In the past six months I think there were three times I went 24 hours without logging in, and that was because of holiday workload.
    Yes, I still play.

2. Would you start again with a fresh map?
    If there's any map at all, I'll play it.

3. Would you be interested in a modpack (e.g. FTB) instead of the vanilla experience?
    Actually, I kind of like playing strict vanilla. Of course if we do go with a modpack I'll keep on playing, but I'd really prefer plain old vanilla.
    Also, if we go with a modpack, expect an endless stream of stupid questions from me while playing. You've all been warned.

4. Would you care if Sitosis just closed?
    I'd be devastated. I've NEVER had this much fun on single-player, and I've noticed a significant improvement in my playing since starting here. Plus I've gotten to know quite a few people here that I'd miss if we shut down.

5. Would you be willing to help to offset the cost of the server lease?
    Absolutely. How much do you need?

• 1. Do you still play?
    Yup, I play most days. I've had two longer breaks from the server since last summer - three weeks in October/November and a few weeks in January, mostly because some other game stole my gaming time. But this is my goto game unless I'm doing something else, and right now I'm on the server daily or almost daily.

2. If not, would you start again with a fresh map?
    Doesn't apply to me, but I would prefer sticking with the same map for as long as possible. I like long term projects and making use of possibilites only available after spending a lot of time on the same map. Going bake to collecting iron and grass seeds every few months isn't my idea of fun. Having said that, I will still play after the next map reset, and I have several projects planned for the next map already.

3. Modpack?
    No thanks. :)

4. What if Sitosis closed?
    I would strangle a baby goat.

5. Would you help with costs for server lease?
    Yeah, totally. How much is it?
  • edited February 2015
    1. Not for a few months now, but that's due to a) finishing my master's thesis (done back in December), and b) catching up on other games I've gotten.

2. I'd rather stick with the current map for a while. I stopped in the middle of making my house, and I'd want to keep going with that once I return.

3. No mods, thanks. I can get my mod kick in singleplayer if needed.

4. That would be sad, and I would be rather upset.

5. Once I'm in a position to do so, gladly.
  • 1 yes
    2 ---
    3 don't need any mods but I am not against either
    4 just don't do that
    5 how much ?
  • 1. Still play? Not so often recently because I needed a break. I log on every now and again to check out things.
    2. New map? I am neutral on this one.
    3. Mods? I am OK with vanilla but I would most likely play anyway.
    4. Close down? I hope not. I like it here.
    5. Help pay server costs? Gladly.
  • 1. I've been playing on other servers, but I want to come back to this one. I've been mostly playing League of Legends, but I still like to play Minecraft.
    2. I always love having a new map.
    3. I'm not sure. I like the vanilla feel, but I think some mods are necessary. But, then again, we can't use mods too easily anyways.
    4. I would probably be upset. I've not been super active, but I like this community. I feel like we need to boost our population if anything.
    5. I don't have money. But out of curiosity, how much? If I had to contribute, I'd do things like advertising most likely.
  • 1. I've actually just started playing again this week.
    2. I'm a bit split on this, on the one hand it would be sad to lose Innsmouth and all the other stuff people have worked on, on the other hand I would like a new map because I don't like the biome distribution on this one very much (too much desert and savannah for my taste). Either way I would like a fast decision, because I'm about to start a new building project. :)
    3. I wouldn't mind some new blocks/biomes (new biomes would be awesome), but I don't really want something that changes the gameplay too much.
    4. I would cry a single tear of infinite sadness. :'( Honestly, without this place I wouldn't be playing Minecraft anymore.
    5. I'm sorry, I have less money than a newly created Minecraft character. :( Should I ever win the lottery, you'll be among the first ones I give a part of it to.
  • 1. Do you still play?
    Yup!

3. Modpack?
    I'm fine with vanilla, but maybe better biome mod?

4. What if Sitosis will be closed?
    I'll crawl under a little rock and cry forever... T_T

Yeah, sure.
  • 1. Do you still play?
    Just started showing my face again in the last week or so, as it happens. Still finding it a little difficult to find all the time I'd like for minecraft, but yes, I still play, and would like to play more.

2. New map?
    I'd probably prefer to stick with this one, at least for a while. If it is to be reset, I guess exported schematics of some buildings would be too much hassle?

3. Modpack
    I'm kind of all about the vanilla. Also, I think mods can get to be arduous for admins to maintain, but that's your call of course. FTB in particular I find a little busy, but I'll give it a go if that's the consensus.

I'm not as poetic or witty as some (I particularly liked the "single tear of infinite sadness"), but yeah, it'd be a shame - there's some nice folks here.

Don't see why the admins should bear the full cost, so sure. How and how much?
  • Adding to my previous comment on mods: I'd have to agree with Worf about Better Biomes if any mods were to be added.
  • Just dipped into the forum for the first time in a while.

1. Do you still play?
    No, not for months, due to being super busy and minecraft being such a time sink.

Not really an issue for me. I'll play again when I have time, and the map won't influence that. It'd be fun to see what's developed since I left, and what's happened to my stuff, but I wouldn't be broken-hearted to start from scratch again.

3. Modpack?
    I prefer vanilla.

That would be a shame. I liked the community when I was playing.

It feels kind of weird to donate when I'm not playing, but yes, I want the place to still be around if I return, so I'll kick in something.
  • 1. Do you still play?
    On and off. I was around a while back (months ago), and am just wandering back now. I will wander away again in a bit, but I always seem to wander back.

Not a big deal, but I do like the idea of the world growing and changing over time. I wouldn't veto a new map, but like the idea of keeping them around as long as possible. The main reason I might vote for it is if they made some amazing change to biome generation.

3. Modpack?
    Vanilla! One of the most exotic spices.

That would be sad. I would have to go find another place on the internet with reasonable, non-trolling, considerate people. Such things are hard to find.

Sure, especially if it was easy to do.
  • "4. What if Sitosis closed?
    I would strangle a baby goat."

haha
  • edited February 2015
    1. Do you still play?
    Not lately, but I've been wanting to lately, busy busy with work and family.

Absolutely, I think a new map would cause me to force myself to play, but I love new maps

3. Would you be interested in a modpack (e.g. FTB) instead of the vanilla experience?
    I'm a big fan of what we have been doing.

I too would strangle baby goats...

Absolutely. How much do you need? I may have been absent recently, but I'd be willing to bet money on play time on the history of the server belongs to me :P
  • I think we should drop the Whitelist requirement, provided we can guarantee at least 2-3 active Ops. We're a close community, but we're also a small one. What do you think?
  • Thank you all for sharing your thoughts! I'm very glad to see that this awesome community is alive and there are people who care about our world of Minecraft :) . Considering the above, I'm going to renew the server lease for another year.

I'm currently in the process of moving to another continent again, so my funds are tight ATM. So, I'm asking anybody who's able, to help out with paying for the server lease. Running the server costs $350 for a year with current specs (we have a special deal with RamNode). I've set up a donations page here. The deadline for renewing the lease is March 1st.

Asum
  • edited February 2015
    As to the whitelist requirement, I'm strongly opposed to removing it. I think it's an important safeguard. However, it's a community decision and if the majority feels that we are ok/better without it, then that's how it's gonna be.
  • I think we should keep the whitelist. I don't think someone who is honestly interested in playing on this server is going to be turned away by the small effort it takes to get on the list.
    A better way to bring new people in would be, in my opinion, to advertise the server in some way, like PZ did on his blog.
  • I'd vote to keep the whitelist.
  • 1. Do you still play?
    Not for a few months (too much going on in real life).

I'd like to start playing again either way and while I'd like to finish my guardian farm, starting from scratch is my favorite part in SMP.

I'm not a big fan of modpacks that change the gameplay too much. But I do like the Better Biomes modpack Worf mentioned.

I'd really like to return someday so I hope it stays open.

Absolutely!
  • A few players have already donated. Thank you so much guys, your help is very much appreciated!
  • PROF! Fix your guardian farm, man! We're dying out here :p
  • Ok, donated.
  • 1. Do you still play?
    I take long breaks, and usually only start to play regularly if I have a project planned. Having a good server to play on helps out.

2. New map?
    I always have a rush of ideas for projects whenever the map is changed, but people are still working on big works, and it would be a shame to throw all their work away just to start fresh. Although now's a good time to be planning a map reset.

3. Modded experience?
    I like playing modded Minecraft, but jumping from regular Vanilla to anything drastically different may put some people off.

Definitely. It's a great community and hopefully it'll be around for at least a while longer. The whitelist and application process are a huge benefit to actually feeling a part of the whole thing.

I've thrown a small donation towards server leasing in the hopes of goading myself into playing a bit more often over the next couple of months
  • Sent a few bucks your way. that should be $350 now...
  • Asum,
    Sent some as well, keep mine as a sitosis salary, if the goal has been met. :P
  • edited February 2015
    Thank you all who donated! This has been by far the quickest fundraiser in Sitosis history - only two days! :)

The server lease will be renewed with the current specs for another year.

Thanks again.
  • Asum,
    Have you reached the amount needed already?
  • Yep. We got the funds. Now we just wait for RamNode to generate a new bill at the beginning of March.
  • I'm so happy this community is still going. I hopped on today very briefly to see if everyone was still doing things and to see what has happened since I stopped playing a couple of months ago. I am so happy how things have progressed and I am glad you guys are still going. Keep it up!!!

Leave a Comment